Fisherman soup is very popular in the Southern part of Nigeria. The name of the soup explains why as fishing is the major occupation of these people. If you love seafood as much as I do, then this recipe is definitely for you. You can use all your favorite seafood to prepare this soup. Feel free to be flexible with this recipe and make it yours.
Preparing this meal takes about 30 minutes, which makes it a must-cook for all the busy homemakers. It not only saves your time, it is also very nourishing because of the seafood used in preparing it. It is also a meal the entire family will love.
- 2kg Fresh Nigerian tiger prawns (cleaned)
- I kg Fresh Fish (cleaned)
- 500g Dried fish or smoked fish (or both deboned)
- 500g Stock Fish (optional)
- 1 cup ground crayfish
- Fresh Pepper (chopped)
- 1/2 kg Fresh Spinach or Pumpkin Leaves (sliced)
- 100g Fresh Basil Leaves
- 2 Medium onions (chopped)
- 1 cooking spoon of Palm oil
- Salt to taste
- Seasoning cubes
- Okra (cut in large chunks)
- Place the smoked/dried fish in a pot with about 4 cups of water and boil for about 10 mins. If you are using stock fish, you will need to cook for a longer time for it to soften.
- Add in the fresh fish, tiger prawns, boiled dry fish, along with the chopped onions and peppers and dried crayfish and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the Okro. Put the rest of the ingredients in the pot and stir gently. Cook the soup for another 5-7 minutes.
- Pour in the palm oil and cook for another 5 minutes
- Wash the fresh spinach or pumpkin leaves and add these to the soup and allow to cook for about 5-7 minutes
- Remove from the heat and serve the soup while hot.
- Serve with Eba, Fufu or Pounded Yam.
You can shop for all the ingredients used in preparing this soup are available on SUPERMART.NG
Check out more delicious recipes here