Congratulations on your pregnancy. You are a mum-to-be and you will be welcoming your newborn before you know it. This is why we have come up with this pregnancy and newborn shopping list to guide you with your shopping. Be prepared, because when you are pregnant and shopping for your newborn, you will discover that almost every baby item or pregnancy outfit looks beautiful. This pregnancy and newborn shopping list will guide you so you don’t get confused as to what item to buy or not to buy. Before you proceed to shopping for your self or your baby, do have a budget and try to stick to it. While this pregnancy and newborn shopping list serves as a guide, feel free to improvise when a newborn or maternity item is not readily available, affordable or necessary.
Pregnant mum shopping list
- Breast pump and storage bags (to store breast milk)
- Nursing bras
- Nursing pads
- Nipple cream (for breastfeeding)
- Loose shirts/button down outfits to aid breastfeeding.
- Flowing maternity dress
- Loose fitting night gowns or pajamas
- Pregnancy dairy/Baby journal – to document your pregnancy and baby moments (optional)
- Pregnancy pillow
- Click Here to find out what you should pack in your hospital bag
Newborn shopping list
- Cot (plus mattress, sheets and blankets) (optional if you cant afford it)
- Car seat (optional if you are not mobile)
- Sleep suits/ long sleeved onesies
- Six sleep suits/ long sleeved suits
- Six vests/ short sleeved suits
- Two cardigans/ jackets
- Hat, mittens and bootees
- Portable changing mats
- Cloth nappies (an alternative for diapers)
- Bottles/teats/bottle brush (only needed if not breastfeeding)
- Loads of bibs
- Plenty of towels/ flannels/ muslin squares (for bathing and dribbles!)
- Loads of kitchen roll and cotton wool pads
- Diaper supply, baby wipes and Diaper bags
- Bibs, plates, spoon, cups (optional if you are exclusively breastfeeding your baby)
- Baby lotion
- Baby Powder
- Playpen (optional)
- Bassinet/Moses basket (optional)
- Play mat
- Food/Bottle warmer
- Hot water flask
- Baby nail clippers,
- Thermometer (optional)
- Baby comb, and soft hairbrush.
- Breastfeeding pillow
Start shopping for the baby while you still have the energy. The second trimester is the time you will feel strong the most so make the best of it. In the third trimester, you will experience bouts of weakness and probably wouldn’t be in the best frame of mind to shop for baby essentials so please shop for your newborn while you still have the energy. Shopping for your newborn baby can really be overwhelming because really, every baby item in the store is just so attractive that making a choice is very difficult.
As your baby’s due date approaches, find a comfy chair, place your hand on your stomach, and enjoy the final days of your pregnancy.
Hope this pregnancy and newborn shopping list helps. If you are a pregnant or new mum, tell us in the comment, other items that are not listed here that a newborn would need. Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with your feedback.